About the Race
The Lunartic 5k at Smithville Lake will charm you with its downhill start after dusk at picturesque Sailboat Cove. This point to point course, for runners or walkers at all ability levels, will challenge you as you wind your way along the paved trail, gradually ascending toward the Smoke and Davey trailhead. You will be captivated by the beauty of nature as you run underneath the tree canopy toward a screaming downhill finish where you will be certified a Lunartic! Runners will be shuttled back to the parking area at the start from the finish area.
Sailboat Cove (Start): 4619 Chapel Rd, Smithville, MO 64089
How it Began
This race began as an idea by the Smithville cross country team boosters and coaches. The benefits: bring the community together doing something we love; and help the SHS cross country team fund entry fees into larger and more competitive races throughout the season. And where better to host such a race than our very own Smithville trails next to the lake?
Packet pickup will be at Smithville High School Thursday August 3, 4:00-7:00 p.m. and Friday morning August 4, 10:00 – 1:00; or before the race at Sailboat Cove 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. If you are pre-registered, you will also receive an email the week of the race that confirms your registration and provides additional details for race day.
- Runners and walkers at all ability levels are welcome.
- Start time: 8:30 p.m. (sunset is at 8:27 p.m. on Aug. 4, and the moon will be at 91% full moon)
- The race will be timed by RaceDay Timing Solutions.
- Since this is a point-to-point race, runners will not end where they began. Free shuttles will transport runners from the finish back to Sailboat Cove.
- Refunds are not allowed for this race.
- If the race needs to be canceled due to severe weather, no refunds will be issued.
Where the Money Goes
In 2017, proceeds from the race will go to the Smithville Cross Country Parent Booster Club. Specifically, the booster club is working on subsidizing the cost of a September race at Forest Park in St. Louis for both varsity girls and varsity boys.
Contact the Race Organizers
First Place: Ben Barrows, 16:40
Second Place: Regan Dunn, 18:08
Third Place: Scott Wilmes, 18:33
Male Division Top 5
- Ben Barrows, 16:40
- Regan Dunn, 18:08
- Scott Wilmes, 18:33
- Alex Carmack, 1956
- Eric Chamas, 19:59
Female Division Top 5
- Margaret Chamas, 19:37
- Emma Derr, 22:04
- Abby Derr, 22:05
- Camarie Slagle, 22:12
- Stephanie Wattenbarger, 23:58